Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ghosts on the Drillfield




Temporary fix for enlarged images until I can relink them:
Image #2
Image #3
This week had some terrible weather, snowing and raining and generally not wanting to be nice for outdoor photos. Hopefully I won't get behind on my photos again!

So to explain these three images: Image #1 is a quick snapshot of the drillfield on campus as students were crossing between classes. You'll notice slight blurring, that's because of the long exposure required at the aperture I was testing (f/22 in this case). Image #2 is after I placed +7 stops of Neutral Density filters on the lens, effective requiring a full 20 seconds to properly expose the image, instead of 1/6 of a second in Image #1. This length of time resulted in almost nobody appearing in the photo, although it suffered from a loss of sharpness. Image #3 is just something I did for fun, which was to photoshop all the people that were 'ghosts' in Image #1 back onto Image #2.

This is a concept I'm going to play around with, so expect more long exposure results in the future. If you've got an idea for a long exposure I should do, let me know!

Also, another photo will be up tomorrow to make up for missing tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. Do you know of any good places for night photography? I feel like the light pollution is too strong near town to get any decent shots, especially if I want to do stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you are interested in going out for a night sky shoot at some point, I've been wanting to do some too. Price's Fork Observatory is ok for this type of thing, but if we went out to the area nearing the Cascades it gets about 100x more awesome.

    ReplyDelete